In honor of Valentine’s Day, we’re talking today about how dads-to-be can show LOVE to their wives throughout their pregnancy. Dr. Rupe had an OB appointment a few weeks back when the father-to-be pulled her aside to ask what he could do to help his wife throughout her pregnancy. I think we can all agree this dude deserves the father-to-be of the year award for that move! It prompted Dr. Rupe to think about what husbands can do to serve their pregnant wives. We asked our community of moms to weigh in as well on how their men helped them while they were carrying baby.
We’ve all seen the commercials or the scenarios played out on countless sitcoms. . .mama has a craving and daddy must run out wearing only his boxers (for fear that taking too long to change his pants would put his ice cream-craving, pregnant wife over the edge) in the middle of the night to grab some mint chocolate chip or heavenly hash. This may not be the best way for your man to show his love and care for you. . .but there are many other things he can do to serve you during your pregnancy.
Ladies, this post is not meant to make you feel badly for all the things your husband isn’t doing. It’s not meant to make you mad at him for not thinking to ask your doctor what he could do for you. We hope you will share this post with them in an effort to communicate what you might need from him during this time.
Dads-to-be. . .if you’ve not yet taken an active role in serving and caring for your pregnant wife, we hope this post will give you some ideas and encourage you to do so. There is no way you could understand how taxing it is to grow a life inside your body. It’s wonderful yet exhausting. It’s effortless yet challenging. It’s beautiful yet ugly. Those dichotomies alone are enough to make you mad!
With all of these suggestions, the important thing is to offer to do it before she has to ask. That is what makes a woman feel the most cared for. I don’t know many men who will refuse when asked to do something but it means so much more when we don’t have to ask and when you serve us with joy.
10 Ways Husbands Can LOVE On Their Pregnant Wives
1. Bring her a snack or drink. Learn her pregnancy eating habits and offer it before she has to ask.
2. Rub her back or feet or legs. Heck, rub anything that makes her feel better! Her body is likely aching a lot!
3. Offer to cook a few meals. This may not be your strength daddy but grilled cheese will do. Or pick up take out on the way home from work.
4. Send her to take a bath. She may not even want to make the effort but once she is soaking in that warm, bubbly tub, she will feel so much better!
5. Help out more with household chores. . .especially those that require bending over (in the 3rd trimester).
6. Be sensitive about sex and intimacy. Talk openly about it. Let her know your needs but understand her feelings as well.
7. Tell her she’s beautiful. Every. Single. Day.
8. Engage in baby prep and planning. She will be nesting. Big time. Don’t fight it. Surrender to her baby bliss and get involved!
9. If you already have children, help her with bath and bedtime routines (more so than you normally would) as this is when she is likely exhausted.
10. Be a good sport and joyfully take pregnancy photos with your beautiful, pregnant wife. You will cherish them in years to come.
I’m sure there are countless more ideas for how men can serve pregnant mamas. We’d love to discuss your ideas as well. Leave a comment to start the conversation!
We’re linking up with oh amanda’s Top Ten Tuesday again today. Check out her post with great encouragement for bloggers and many other links to super fun Top 10 posts!
Praying we will know how to give and receive LOVE today and everyday,
For more tips and peace-filled advice like this, check out The Pregnancy and Baby Companion books